I did it!!! Final blogpost!


You all know what it's like to come home after a long trip. This was a LONG trip! I really didn't miss home that much because, really, what's the point. I knew I was going to be gone for over 8 weeks and I put my energy towards being truly present wherever I was. I'd say it was when I crossed the line into the midwest (with only 5 days left) that I let the thoughts of home sneak in. I am so happy to sleep in my own bed. Why do so many people have extra firm mattresses. You might as well sleep on the floor! I'm so happy to cook my own meal and to walk around barefoot! Sigh!

13,031 miles (a palindrome), 30 states, 25 National Parks, countless hairpin turns, crazy elevations, defying my fear of heights, a multitude of conversations with people from around the world, local brews and food and endless beauty. I am so incredibly fortunate to be able to take such a trip. I worked hard to save the money by working 2 jobs, took the summer off for the very first time, planned the details and kept the energy up throughout the trip so that I never took anything for granted. Fifty-eight days on the road with only 2 days off where I didn't drive or explore. I am so ready for a bit of a rest.

I have been asked many times what my favorite thing was. How can I possibly choose?! There are too many places and moments and vistas that resonated with me:

  • sunrise at Bryce Canyon
  • Glacier National Park - all of it
  • the perfect day - driving through northern California, the Redwoods and canoeing with my daughter Sara in Oregon
  • Drinking 25¢ martinis in New Orleans with my daughter Ally
  • Montana
  • the immenseness of Carlsbad Caverns
  • a sleepover with Stacia in Moab
  • dinner conversation and laughter with Maret in Vancouver
  • meeting Louise and her husband at Yellowstone and feeling like I was with family
  • standing where Buddy Holly lost his life
  • bats in Austin
I could keep going and going! Every single place (well, except for driving through parts of Texas) has its own beauty.

I skirted fires all along the west. Several places I drove through or visited have been engulfed in flames or closed due to fires and smoke. I never even took a detour so how lucky am I?!  I only saw 4 storms (the crazy tornado warning one, Pittsburgh, Yellowstone and one thunderstorm at the Grand Canyon - AMAZING). Other than that, every day was sunny and hot.

I had conversations about travel, food, politics, religion, relationships and baseball with people from all over. I loved getting outside perspectives about all of these things. I only met 3 people from Maine and never saw a Maine license plate once I left and returned to New Hampshire. That's crazy!! But then again, it's a damned big country. Why would anyone choose to drive the whole freakin' thing?!

I totally understand the love of the west - it's dry, HOT and unbelievably beautiful. I now get why visitors from the west complain about the humidity when they come to Maine. I never felt the difference until I spent 6 weeks without humidity AND mosquitoes! 

Did you know there are few tolls once you leave the northeast? That was nice! Also, in general, people are good drivers. It was only when I was driving in the northeast that I really noticed a multitude of assholes on the road. There were a few here and there but nothing like New York and Massachusetts drivers. I guess they come by their reputations honestly.

Finally, traveling solo was really great! I've had SO many people say they could never travel alone. That's too bad. I stopped when I wanted, I ate when I wanted and I never had to consult with anyone (except for 10 days of my trip). I listened to 3 audio books, countless podcasts and enjoyed plenty of silence. There were days where I didn't talk with anyone until I had a conversation with someone while sitting at a bar having dinner. I absolutely loved the silence of walking in a National Park at sunrise without another person in site. Bliss! 

I think being alone, I was so aware of those around me and ended up in wonderful conversations. Would that have happened if I had been traveling with someone? I'm not sure.

My advice to all of you...get out there. Not once was I afraid traveling by myself! Not once!!! There is this undercurrent of fear around us and it's bullshit! People are kind and friendly and so happy to meet you. Visit places you have dreamed of, get off at an exit and get lost for a while, stop and check out the little things like a 60 foot Jolly Green Giant or Buddy Holly's crash site. Experience the silence of a National Park at sunrise. Have a cocktail on the edge of the Grand Canyon. Talk to people around you - there are so many amazing people out there. It doesn't have to be the insane type of trip I just took (I mean, really Nancy?!). It's about getting out of your comfort zone and getting out there. It truly is about the journey, not the destination.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Planning a Cross Country Trip - Oh the decisions to be made!!

Baseball Hall of Fame - My last scheduled stop on my Portland to Portland Bucket List!