Baseball Hall of Fame - My last scheduled stop on my Portland to Portland Bucket List!




I "discovered" baseball when I was around 12 years old. I babysat for a family and they lived in the boonies so they got very few television stations. One station they did get, for some reason, had baseball. Once the kids were in bed, it was something to do so I started watching baseball. It didn't take long before I was hooked. I remember Dwight Evans, Carlton Fisk and Carl Yastrzemski! I so remember Fisk hitting that home run in game 6 of the 1975 World Series!

When I was dropped off at Emerson in Boston in 1979, I walked out of Fensgate which sat on the edge of Kenmore Square. My room faced the CITGO sign and I could hear the cheers of the crowd at Fenway. I waked to Fenway and bought a bleacher ticket to the next day's day game. It cost me $5!!

I'll never forget walking up into the park and catching my first in person look at the perfect field and the Green Monster! I was WAY up in the bleachers but there was no security so I walked right down to the front row between 1st base and right field (I had a total crush on Dwight Evans) and caught my first Red Sox game. I still get goosebumps when I get a chance to go see a game.

My heart was broken over and over when they got SO close and just missed winning the pennant race or losing the series. I cried like a baby in 1986 and then shed tears of joy in 2004! Today was really emotional for me. So silly right? It's a game! But damn, I found myself wiping away tears throughout my visit of the Hall of Fame and Museum. So many heroes, so much history and a glimpse of the past decades of this incredible sport!
















Lou Gehrig's uniform - emotion!














































This was the absolutely PERFECT way to end my incredible trip around the United States! Play ball!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did it!!! Final blogpost!

Planning a Cross Country Trip - Oh the decisions to be made!!