Planning a Cross Country Trip - Oh the decisions to be made!!

It's the middle of May and I'm finally done planning (well, pretty much) a bucket list trip around the United States. I'm doing it! My plan, as of right now, is to take around 8 weeks this summer to drive from Portland Maine ALL the way to the other Portland (and beyond) and back again. Now, I don't plan on making this a straight shot. I'm doing the southern part of the U.S. first, up through Utah, over to California and up the coast of the Pacific Northwest. Then I'm driving the northern route back. After it's all said and done, I will have driven about 13,000 miles in my little Kia Soul through 34 states and into Mexico and Canada for some added spice. This is what it looks like so far.


Now I know you east coasters are wondering why I'm skipping all of those wonderful states on the right side. There are two very good reasons for that. First, I'm been in every state on the east coast and the whole point of this trip is to finally get to states I haven't been to.  When I'm done, there will be only 3 states I haven't visited in the continental U.S - Alabama, Oklahoma and Kansas. North Dakota may be added to that list as I make my way back east but only time (and thoughts of sleeping in my own bed) will tell. I tried to make it all work but sheesh, look at this already!

Second, I only have so much time and this is a damn BIG country! Those western states are HUGE!

As you can see from the map, there's a major concentration of places I'm visiting from Arizona through Utah and in the Pacific Northwest. That's where I'm spending about 3 weeks of my time and I am more than excited about that.

So far I have booked places to stay all the way and planned visits to places like Graceland and a bourbon tour in Kentucky. I'll be in New Mexico for July 4th and then I'll be staying 2 days on the north rim of the Grand Canyon. I've book hot springs and music and wine and ferries and more. Makes me want to cry a little just thinking about it. I'm spending 12 days in the Pacific Northwest (including Vancouver and Vancouver Island) and stopping at many National Parks along the way.

I'll be taking plenty of pictures and blogging about places, people and all the wonderfulness I'll get to see in our incredible country. I hope you come along with me for the ride.

Comments

  1. Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so wonderful Nancy! Looking forward to the adventures.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I did it!!! Final blogpost!

Baseball Hall of Fame - My last scheduled stop on my Portland to Portland Bucket List!